Converting Regular Recipes to Crockpot Recipes

This is for all you slow-cooker virgins out there. 
When I was a newlywed, I received a crockpot as a wedding gift.  I had no idea what to cook in it and finding a recipe isn't as easy as it is today.  I eventually found a few recipes, but I wish I'd had this information before I purchased two slow-cooker cookbooks.  A few years ago, I received a handout at church from a lady who was a fabulous and experienced cook. I found the following information very helpful and thought others might appreciate it as well.  I take no credit for this, I'm just passing along info.

The Conversion Process
Preparation 
  • When using meat, pour the liquid over the meat.  Use no more liquid that specified in the recipe.
  • Do not add as much water as some recipes indicate-liquids don't "boil away" as in conventional cooking.  Usually you will have more liquid at the end of cooking instead of less.
  • Most vegetables should be thinly sliced or placed near the sides or bottom of the crockpot.
  • Meats generally cook faster than vegetables.
  • Vegetables do not overcook as they do when boiled on the stove or in the oven.  Therefore, everything can go in the slow cooker at one time.  Exception: milk, sour cream or cream should be added the last hour because they tend to break down during cooking.
  • Recipes calling for pasta will be best if pasta is cooked separately and added just before serving.
  • Because there is no direct heat at the bottom, always fill the stoneware at least half full to conform to recommended heating times.
  • Beans must be completely softened before combining with sugar or acidic foods.
  • Allow sufficient heating time and cook with the cover on.
If Recipes Says: Cook on Low: Or Cook on High:
15-30 minutes 4-6 hours 1.5-2 hours
35-45 minutes 6-10 hours 3-4 hours
50 min – 3 hours 8-18 hours 4-6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!