Chicken Noodle Soup, Mmm, Mmm Good!

It's a sad fact that I had never tasted homemade chicken noodle soup until I made it myself in the first year I was married.  With a poor married student budget, I searched through my small library of cookbooks to find a recipe that I had  (a) all the ingredients for and (b) wouldn't take very long to cook.   I found the recipe I needed in the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, 11th edition.  I never fully believed in the healing powers of chicken noodle soup until this recipe.  Enjoy!

cups chicken broth
½ cup chopped onion
2 tsp snipped fresh basil or ½ tsp dried basil, crushed
2 tsp snipped fresh oregano or ½ tsp dried oregano, crushed
¼ tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 10 oz. pkg frozen mixed vegetables
½ cup medium noodles or other small pasta
2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey or 1 13 oz. can of chicken
1 14½ oz. can of tomatoes, cut up


In a large saucepan combine chicken broth, onion, basil, oregano, pepper and bay leaf.


Stir in vegetables.  Bring to boiling. Stir in uncooked noodles.  Return to boiling; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer 8 minutes or until noodles are tender but still firm and vegetables are crisp-tender.


Discard bay leaf.  Stir in chicken or turkey and undrained tomatoes; heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!